5 Questions about Social Stories?
I was inspired when Tim Carmody wrote “What’s Wrong With Education Cannot Be Fixed with Technology” for Wired Magazine. He outlined some of the ideas Steve Jobs had about textbooks. This was before iBooks Author was in the mainstream. I hoped parents of special needs children could use this tool to develop Social Stories. This is my quote from the story.
Let’s take just one stakeholder example: students with disabilities, as well as their teachers and parents. Autism advocate and software developer Russ Ewell from the Hope Technology Group is excited. “Apple could unlock another door for autism with this breakthrough,” Ewell said. “Parents could create social story books.” So could special education teachers or therapists, tailored for each student.
Today I write as much to remind myself as anything. The vision of parents with special needs children developing simple rich engaging stories must be kept alive. In the days to come, I hope to find answers to these questions.
- What is the simplest and best application for creating social stories?
- Has anyone used iBooks Author to create social stories?
- Where are the best resources for understanding the how and why of social stories?
- Does anyone have a website where someone could download social stories?
- Who are the biggest names in social story creation?
I will be seeking these answers and hopefully learn how to make my original vision become a reality.