11 Ways Wearables Breakthrough
The first time I realized the enormous potential of wearable technology was at the MIT Media Lab Wearable Technology Conference. I was lucky enough to get an invite through a friend of a friend.
“CMU, MIT, and Georgia Tech co-hosted the IEEE International Symposium on Wearables Computers in Cambridge, MA October 13-14, 1997. The symposium was a full academic conference with published proceedings and papers ranging from sensors and new hardware to new applications for wearable computers. There were 382 people registered for this event.”
The conference gave me vision for my son with Autism becoming a beneficiary of wearable technology. I saw wearable technology as a means by which my son could overcome his human limits. My vision remains vibrant today especially with the recent advances in wearable technology.
There are 11 areas worth watching with regard to wearables.
- Battery Power – enough to run for a minimum of 24 hours
- Sensors – NBA Stars today – everyone tomorrow enhanced personal awareness
- Health – Improved medical care, cheaper price, more accessible information
- Data Input – solve this problem, add bluetooth, and leave your phone home
- Killer Apps – nothing matters until someone develops a killer app
- Fashion – ugly things are rarely worn.
- Footwear – my sleeper for how wearables might really break out
- Connectivity – Broadcom is interested because wearables need internet
- Stores – Amazon just opened a UK store…we need a trusted vendor
- Prosthetics – this isn’t a sleeper but my front runner. Disabilities overcome.
- Advertising – Can you imagine the dollars!