Leaders and students of leadership should study Mike Krzyzewski (Coach K). This interview by Graham Bensinger makes this easier. Mr. Bensinger , surfaced subtle yet revealing answers from Coach K. One of the most significant was his distinction between rules and standards.
6 things I learned from this interview.
- Rules are enforced, Standards are developed
- Leaders who enforce rules will rarely develop people
- Leaders who develop standards develop people and other leaders
- The process of developing standards takes time
- Shared standards inspire ownership
- Ownership reduces the need for delegation and eliminates micromanaging
Conclusion: Leadership burnout decreases as ownership increases. Coach K speaks from personal experience on this topic here.